New to Knocklyon – Glenanne Hockey has moved its Junior Section to St. Colmcilles Community School, to the rear on the Astro Pitch.
A Brief History :
Up to 1943 the name of the club was Graftonians. It was originally the staff sports association of the Grafton Street department store Brown Thomas. By 1943 the club had become open and the LBIHU minutes record that the Graftonian representatives to the branch came to the 1943 Branch AGM and informed the secretary that the club had a new name, Glenanne, with the same colours and the same players. Meanwhile the Second World War raged in Europe! There is a picture of a Graftonians hockey team on the wall in the Two Sisters.
The old club, based on Fortfield Road, was strictly divided into winter and summer seasons. Hockey and table tennis were the winter games and golf and lawn tennis were the summer ones. The hockey pitch was given over to the golf section on St Patrick’s Day, the end of the hockey season. There were two separate subscriptions for each season.
Each golf and lawn tennis season finished with an “At Home” when all the finals were played with a dinner dance and presentation of prizes that evening in the clubhouse. After each hockey match the club provided tea and Marietta biscuits!
After Graftonians went open the members thought a new name would better reflect its open status. The name Glenanne emerged because the club premises were on the grounds of St Annes, a small “big house” estate running from the KCR up to the back of Kimmage Manor (at the back of the Shell Station on Fortfield Road), which the historic river Poddle ran through. The river was banked high up to 15 to 20 feet giving the premises a glen like appearance, hence the name.
Ongoing recruitment Boys & Girls ( Senior Infants up to U16’s). Training 7-8pm all age groups every Friday come try out for free! Contact Fiona on 087 979 0173 or Fiona.email@example.com. Visit our website http://www.glenannesc.ie